3 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup onion, very finely chopped
¾ cup celery, very finely chopped
Pepper and salt
2 ¾ cups broccoli florets, well washed to remove any grit
4 pints water
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
Creole seasoning to taste (optional)
1. Put the olive oil to heat in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
2. When hot add the celery and onions and gently sauté for about 5
minutes until softened.
3. Add some salt and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper as the
4. When the onions are soft add the broccoli florets and sauté for
another 5 minutes.
5. Add the water, and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly.
7. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and add the cream.
8. Simmer for about 10 minutes, making sure that the soup does not
boil again and the cream curdle.
9. Remove the soup from the heat and blend until smooth.
10. Add ¾ of the grated cheese to the soup and stir well until it has
11. Check the seasoning and serve in individual bowls.
12. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and season with Creole
seasoning if liked.
Nutritional Facts per portion:
Calories 298, Fat 26.2g, Carbohydrate
4.7g, Dietary Fiber 1.5g, Net Carbs 3.2g, Protein 12.5g.