Salsa Fresca Chicken
total yield 8 servings
This Salsa Fresca Chicken is packed full of bold Tex-Mex flavors but still a light and wholesome dish. It is smothered in fresh tomatoes, cilantro, sweet onion, and of course Monterey Jack cheese. It comes together easily for a quick weeknight meal and since it is made in one dish it can be cleaned up easily as well.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups fresh pico de gallo (I use this homemade Pico de Gallo recipe)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Lay the chicken flat in a large baking dish and sprinkle evenly with the cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover chicken with the pico then top with cheese.
- Bake on middle rack for 35-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (internal temp of 165˚F.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve hot with your favorite side dish.
- You can cut the chicken in half, chunks, or use chicken tenderloins in lieu of full chicken breasts to make serving easier. Cooking time may be reduced.
- Leftovers can be placed in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
This recipe is naturally gluten free, low carb and friendly for low carb and keto diets.
Dairy Free- To make this recipe dairy free you can omit the cheese.
Gluten free- Check labels on ingredients used to verify they are gluten free as somethings can vary brand by brand.
Nutrition facts provided based on my best estimation for the recipe and may not be accurate depending on what brands you use or modifications you make to the recipe. I recommend using a nutrition calculator with the exact brands and measurements you use for the most accurate calculation.